The UK is home to some of the best and topmost Universities in the world. The Universities position is still considered strong in spite of Brexit and dominates the education market in the world. There are a number of Universities in Britain that are popular amongst students and most students who dream of studying in the UK often get confused to choose from one of the best – Oxford, Cambridge, Nottingham, UCL, Warwick, and more. In this article, we will discuss How to Get Admission to Top UK Universities.
The number of students who visit UK universities has increased in the last few years due to sponsored study visas granted to Indian nationals. For every country you want to study in, there are a basic set of requirements that a person is supposed to meet.
To enter into the top universities of the UK, students must fulfill such criteria.
What do you need to know before applying to Top Universities in the UK?
- Application Process
- Course curriculum and Grading System
- City of the University
- Cost of Living
- Work options
- VISA application process
- Health Insurance Plans
After the research of proper information is done, you need to understand the basic requirements for admission to Bachelor’s degrees in the best Universities in the UK.
- It is important that there is academic excellence in the secondary examinations of the Indian Syllabus, the standard exams of XII from CBSE/State Board. Since the students of Britain go through 13 years of pre-university academics instead of 12 like Indians, students need to perform exceptionally well in their qualifying examinations or go through an extra year of Foundation to be eligible for their admission to the top universities of the UK.
- For those students who are not willing to take the Foundation course, they need to take the Advanced-level Examinations held twice a year, and the syllabus can be obtained from the nearest British Council, or you can approach Skylark Overseas Education for details. Excellent command of written and spoken English is required for scoring well in the exam.
- Applicants who are eligible to apply for the Admissions in the Universities of England can apply through Universities and College Admissions Service (UCAS) which is a charitable organization that is responsible for managing applications for full-time Undergraduate courses for most of the Universities within the UK.
- By filling an application form either in hard copy or online with the British Council, the student can apply up to 5 courses in the list and submit them within the deadline mentioned by the Council before the closure of the following academic session. For a few courses mentioned, the deadline would be a bit early than the rest, as early as in the mid of the academic session of the Previous Year.
- All International Students seeking admissions into the Universities of UK need to take an English Proficiency Test called International English Language Test (IELTS) conducted by the British Council and the score should be at least 6 to 6.5. A few Universities also accept the scores of Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- All Universities require complete transcripts/ mark sheets/ related documents of the previous academic records. These documents need to be submitted at the time of submission of application forms, along with the Letters of Recommendation and a Statement of Purpose.
- The Statement of Purpose submitted during the submission of Application forms need to contain a clear sense of why the candidate has chosen the particular stream, and how the student will manage their stay in the UK- financially. The letter of recommendation should be preferably from the Student’s previous academic teacher/ counselors that shall highlight the strengths and weaknesses of the Student and why they would excel in their field.
For Post-Graduate Students:
- Students who seek Admission into the Top Universities of the UK need to have a proper Graduation course for 3 years in any stream that might be equal to the UK under graduation degree. Successful completion of Indian Masters degrees is also acceptable for Admissions into the Master’s programs in Universities of UK.
- Admission forms need to be submitted online or through the post, either of them has to be supplemented with the academic records from the previous education from the respective universities, along with complete student details, with attestation from the Registrar / Controller of Examinations.
- If the student has completed under graduation from a non-UK country, they need to take an English proficiency test called International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) conducted by the British Council or the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) conducted by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). If the University is convinced that the Medium of Education of the candidate has been English since schooling, they may agree to waive the requirement.
- All international students applying for MBA admission to UK universities are recommended to take the GMAT test (Graduate Management Admission Test). GRE scores are not accepted by Universities in the UK.
- All Universities require complete transcripts/ mark sheets/ related documents of the previous academic records. These documents need to be submitted at the time of submission of Application forms, along with the Letters of Recommendation and a Statement of Purpose.
Post-Admission Process for the UK:
If you get an offer letter, you need to pay a tuition deposit to reserve your admission. Reach out to the UK College or University for completion of further enrollment procedures. You can visit Skylark overseas education consultant offices for detailed counseling and help regarding all the procedures, and to stay ahead on the timelines and deadlines for the submission of all the required documents.