Index to studying in Ireland:
- Why Ireland?
- Advantages of education in Ireland
- Best Universities of Ireland
- Timeline for Admission to Ireland universities
- UG/PG application process in Ireland
- Conditions to apply for a VISA
- How to apply for the VISA?
- Student VISA checklist
- Other requirements (Medical and Insurance)
- IRP registration
- Work Authorization
Irish universities are becoming one of the best universities in the world. studying in Ireland government has made large investments in their educational system and is welcoming so many international students over the last years.
Advantages that make Ireland education appealing:
- Part of EU- So the students benefit from the lower cost of living and less tuition fee compared to that of Universities in UK.
- Language of instruction is strictly English
- Friendly people and safe environment
- Listed amongst the top universities with higher rates of student satisfaction
Top Universities in Ireland
- Dublin City university
- Maynooth university
- NUI Galway
- Royal college of surgeons in Ireland
- Technological university Dublin
- University college Cork
- University college Dublin
- University of Limerick
Ireland universities have two intakes- Autumn (sem-1) and Spring (sem-2)
|Application for autumn intake||June/July|
|Application for Spring intake||September/October|
Before starting the application process, please determine the following:
- Whether you are a EU resident or non-EU resident
- Which level of Education are you joining
- Which type of college or university are you preferring? (University, Institute of Technology, or Private Independent college)
- The course you want to join
Application process in Ireland:
EU applicants for UG programs shall apply through the Central Applications Office (CAO) while the non-EU applicants should apply directly through the university’s website. For certain courses (exception) regardless of the status, the student is asked to apply through CAO. The fee is 45 euros.
Majority of PG programs are however applied over the university’s website. The application costs and deadlines depend on the program/course. Some institutes may however ask the candidate to apply from Postgraduate Applications Centre (PAC) website.
Documents required for your Admission in Ireland universities:
- Passport scanned copy
- Relevant certificates (Academic merit- based on the level of education)
- English language proficiency test score
- Other aptitude test scores
- Statement of purpose for Irish universities
- Financial statements (Bank balance statement, loan sanction letter, ITR papers)
- CV/ Resume if required
- Letter of recommendation
- Passport sized pictures
Before applying for a VISA to Ireland, make sure you fulfill the below pointers as part of the VISA process.
- Purpose of visit to Ireland and intentions to return home
- Financial support
- Admission letter from the approved school
- Ties to your home country
To apply for the VISA- visit the AVATS online portal and fill the online application. Follow the instructions and submit your documentation. You may also have to give your biometrics as part of the application. The VISA processing time is usually around 4-8 weeks from the date on which the application is lodged at the Embassy or the Consulate.
If you are not from EU you need to apply for the following type of VISAs
- C Type, if the course lasts less than 3 months
- D type, for any course that lasts more than 90 days, the students might also have to get registered with Garda National Immigration Bureau, that can grant permission to stay beyond the initial 90 days.
Student VISA checklist:
- Valid passport
- Letter of acceptance from the college or university
- Proof of payment of the registration and the tuition fee
- Proof of sufficient funds
- Two passport sized photos
- Study permit
- English proficiency test
- Evidence to explain the gaps in the educational history of the candidate
- Any additional requirements will be forwarded by the university
Medical insurance requirement:
Non-EU students should have their private medical insurance before they travel to Ireland. Usually, the insurance doesn’t support dental care, and in Ireland, the dental care is quite expensive.
The students are also supposed to have a checkup done before flying to Ireland. The documents should be either in Irish or English, or else, they would have to be translated in the above languages- should have the translation date, translator details, signature and contact details.
English Language Requirement for Student visa Ireland:
The following English language test scores are required before you apply for a student visa for full-time course in Ireland.
After applying for the Student VISA approval, international students have to register with an authority in Ireland that provides residence permit or the GNIB card to non-Irish students or students that are not the members of EU or EEA after the registration with the third-level institution.
The registration certificate is called an IRP previously called GNIB card, costs about 300 Euros per person each time. This IRP registration is mandatory to all the international applicants, irrespective of the visa requirement.
Working while receiving an education is quite common when you are studying international to manage your expenses. If you have received a stamp 2 on your passport, it means you can take up the casual employment to supplement your income while studying in Ireland. During the term, you can work for 20 hours a week, and in normal college hours you can work up to 40 hours per week.
If you are enrolled to a course in the university, you can get casual employment permission if
- You are enrolled in a program recognized by the Minister for Education and Skills.
- Attend full-time program at or above NFQ level 7
- Minimum a 15 hours of day time study
- Tuition for a minimum of 25 weeks per annum on a program of at least one year duration
- Register for Irish Residence Permit (IRP)
Get all your doubts clarified today.
Want to join a leading university in Ireland?
Visit Skylark Overseas Consultancy today. Our premium services are designed to help students fulfill their dream of international higher education. We will help you take care of all the formal aspects of the entire process, reducing the stress of paper-work and forms while keeping the entire procedure hassle-free and transparent for you, so can focus on achieving your dreams!