It can be seen that the world has hit a Pause button due to the Pandemic. We know that today, higher education, both International and Domestic, has been disrupted. While COVID sent the entire world to a halt, the world of the students aiming to go abroad for higher education opportunities is crash. Many parents have lost their jobs and a lot of other people have started working from home, and with the closure of schools, teachers have found innovative methods of doing their jobs. Forecasts show that the disruption might range from 6 months to a year or two. Everywhere, there might be a 15-20% decline in enrollment depending on the location of the School/University. While it is difficult to find the silver lining in the pandemic, there is one best one for the American Education system. There is an opportunity to leverage digitalization better to ensure the best outcome for the students. Distance learning has become a popular method during these times of uncertainty. The school systems determine the appropriate number of hours and the proportion of the groups. Such considerations have become urgent due to COVID. While the school systems have been scrambling to get student engagement without disruption, the technologies put up now can be used to preserve the education system in the near term and the future times also. As the financial crisis is seen in the pandemic times, the UGC has ordered the schools and universities to refund the fees of the students who withdraw their admission from the First-year undergraduates, the Post Graduate courses for the academic session of 2020-21. This rule will be rolled back once the situation is normalized.
Changes in Higher Education/Educational Opportunities in Us after COVID:
- The outdated education and business models will be removed
- On-Campus instruction In-person will not start until the Spring Semester
- Several colleges and universities will be closed.
- Large scale Universities might tend to launch Digital Courses for their students
- Year-round recruitment might be started, which might give the students/applicants greater flexibility in college, university selection, and enrollment.
- The academic year will be combined with In-person and online learning and this will help in increased graduation rates
- The process of exams and tests will be changed to a greater extent.
- New Business Models and Financing models will be created